How to find Volunteer Opportunities in Tokyo
Volunteering in Tokyo
Plenty of volunteer groups and Non-profit organizations are working in following areas. Organizations welcome individual / corporate volunteers.
- Social welfare (elders, children, disabilities, poverty, homeless)
- Health (hospital, mental health)
- International (refugees, community development, human rights, immigrants, non-japanese, exchange)
- Environmet (nature, animals, recycling, biodiversity, climate change)
- Art and culture (museum, local culture)
- Disaster Relief
- Consumer Issues
- Others (HIV, discrimination, volunteer support, gender, etc)
There are volunteer centers in each community. If you want to find out volunteer activities or organizations in your community, you can access to volunteer center.
volunteer center in Tokyo's 23 wards (Japanese)
volunteer center in other cities (Japanese)
※Please understand that not all volunteer centers have someone available to talk in English and other language.
summer volunteer program
TVAC and other volunteer centers provide "summmer volunteer program" especially for students.
- More than 1,000 activities will be planned.
- The activity list will be announced in June.
- Participants have to apply and attend orientation which will be held in June to July.
- All of information will be provide only in Japanese, sorry.
about Japanese-language ability
If you want to join volunteer in Tokyo, it is better you undestand Japanese. Because most of organizations do not have someone available to talk in English and other language. Therefore, infomation about volunteering - recruitment, website, brocher, orientation, guidelines are provided only in Japanese. If you do not understand Japanese, your volunteer opportunity might be limited.
However, there are many organizations who welcome volunteers of non-Japanese speakers. We explain how to find volunteer opportunity as follows.
If you understand Japanese
You can find volunteer opportunity on our web site "とうきょう・ひと・まち・つなぎあい（tokyo hito machi tunagi ai）".
mid and long term program (Japanese)
one day / short term program (Japanese)
If you are non-Japanese speaker
There are many organizations who welcome the participation of non-Japanese Speakers.
You can find volunteer opportunity on "FEW COMMUNITY SERVICES DIRECTORY".
FEW COMMUNITY SERVICES DIRECTORY (English)
※FEW, For Empowering Women was founded in 1981 by two foreign female entrepreneurs wishing to create a professional and social network empowering women in Tokyo.
example of volunteer recruitment
Following organizations provide English infomation about volunteer recruitment.
Want to study Japanese/Nihongo in volunteer Japanese class?
There are more than 200 volunteer Japanese/Nihongo classes in Tokyo. You can find them on TNVN website.
TNVN "Volunteer Nihongo Class Guide" (Japanese/English)
※TNVN, Tokyo Nihongo Volunteer Network is a network organization which works with volunteer teachers and groups to promote volunteer Japanese class in Tokyo.